Bloom Lake (QIO) – 16 MTPA Expansion Project – Feasibility Study
QIO (Quebec Iron Ore – Champion Iron) appointed SYSTRA Canada to conduct a feasibility study.
This study aims to identify the infrastructure and operational changes required to double the capacity of the 457-km Bloom Lake to Pointe-Noire (Sept-Îles terminal) railway in Quebec, Canada. The goal was to reach a target of 16 MTPA in a multi-operator and multi-user context.
During a previous phase, SYSTRA Canada’s study had included the following key components:
- Rail line capacity assessment (operation simulations);
- Identification and conceptual design of the required infrastructure packages;
- Operational Assessment Report;
- Implementation Strategy Report;
- CAPEX/OPEX estimate for all considered options;
- Cost/benefit analysis.
During the feasibility phase, SYSTRA Canada reached a level of project definition compliant with a Class 3 estimate (preliminary engineering) in a very challenging timeframe.