Procurement of Rolling Stock (Component D) for the North-South Railway
The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia was to build a new railway for the transport of minerals, general freight, and passengers called the North-South Railway (NSR).
The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia was to build a new railway for the transport of minerals, general freight, and passengers called the North-South Railway (NSR). This new railway extends over 2,400 km, connecting Riyadh to the Jordanian border and new phosphate and bauxite mines in the interior of the Kingdom to Ras al Keir, near Jubail, a new industrial city on the Arabic Gulf, for processing and shipment of phosphates and bauxite. A passenger service is offered between Riyadh international airport and the Jordanian border. Ultimately, the railway will connect to the wider Gulf Corporation Council (GCC) rail network and to SRO and the Landbridge.
The NSR required the acquisition of new passenger trains, freight locomotives, and various types of freight wagons and track maintenance equipment. SYSTRA Canada (formerly CANARAIL) provided support throughout the procurement process and held the following responsibilities:
- Managing the rolling stock component;
- Validating the various rolling stock types and models;
- Developing an implementation plan;
- Developing technical specifications and tender documents for all locomotives, freight cars, passenger trains, and track maintenance equipment;
- Issuing the expressions of interest;
- Providing clarifications during the tender period;
- Evaluating bids;
- Managing technical negotiations with bidders;
- Construction supervision;
- Conducting factory acceptance tests;
- Conducting site acceptance tests;
- Performing the follow-up during warranty period;
- Reviewing train materials.
ACTIVITIES SPECIFIC TO PASSENGER ROLLING STOCK
The passenger rolling stock comprised 12 diesel-electric locomotives, 48 coach and sleeper cars in 9 different configurations, 6 luggage cars and 8 automobile carriers.
SYSTRA Canada’s team prepared technical specifications covering all types of vehicles and assisted the Railway for the interior design of rolling stock. SYSTRA Canada managed the international tender process for the procurement of passenger trains and performed the bid evaluation with the Railway. A SYSTRA Canada team provided assistance to the Railway during the design of rolling stock and led the design review process with the rolling stock supplier. SYSTRA Canada had a full-time inspection team performing inspections during the fabrication, testing, delivery and commissioning of the rolling stock.