Railway Multinational Detailed Study Tanzania-Burundi-Rwanda
Upgrading of the Dar Es Salaam - Isaka corridor in Tanzania and engineering design and development of two new mainlines to Kigali, In Rwanda and Keza/Musongati in Burundi.
SYSTRA Canada (formerly CANARAIL) was responsible for the following activities:
- Inspecting all workshops along the existing line and making recommendations regarding the upgrade and consolidation of shops based on modern rolling stock and operating practices;
- Reviewing existing technical reports completed by BNSF and CPCS;
- Reviewing and modifying the engineering design of all bridges, viaducts and culverts for the different gauge options;
- Developing technical specifications for various gauge alternatives for the upgrade of the existing railway and construction of two new railways;
- Reviewing and refining the DBI design of both new railways (to Rwanda and Burundi) to minimise earthwork volumes,
- Developing Signalling and Telecommunications system solutions and specifications;
- Developing capital cost estimates (CAPEX) and operating cost estimates (OPEX);
- Conducting environmental and social impact analyses;
- Conducting economic and financial analyses for both freight and passenger traffic on the existing line (Tanzania, 700km) and future lines (Rwanda and Burundi, 1,300km);
- Conducting institutional analysis.