Technical Support for Crashworthy F40 Locomotive Test
The Volpe Center is currently implementing a research program for developing crashworthiness standards for North-American locomotives. One aspect of this work involves the testing of a recently designed crashworthy locomotive.
SCOPE OF WORK
As a natural continuation of our design work on this same locomotive, SYSTRA Canada engineers provided technical support to TIAX and Volpe personnel for the locomotive modification and coupler test portion of the program. Work included the following:
- Assist TTCI shop staff in implementing structural modifications previously designed by our team;
- Offer a technical support for enabling the installation of crashworthy components on TTCI’s F40 test locomotive;
- Propose design modifications as required to account for site conditions;
- Review post-test condition of unit;
- Expand previous drawing packages to cover future testing of the locomotive with various crashworthy component configurations.