VIA Rail Windsor-Quebec HFR Project: Ridership Forecasting and Planning Study
SYSTRA Canada (formerly CANARAIL) is responsible for the delivery and audit of the ridership forecast and the planning study (cost benefit and financial analyses) for the High Frequency Rail System for passenger service between Windsor, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec City.
The project consists in providing VIA with the capacity to increase train frequency and improve on-time performance with the purchase of rights-of-way, the construction of a track dedicated to passenger trains, different improvements on shared tracks in the corridor, and by an increase in rolling stock fleet. Eight options have been developed and assessed in the 1,200-km corridor.
- Review of previous studies, forecasts and planning background;
- Project positioning in VIA’s Strategic planning;
- Revenue structure analysis;
- Option scoping and definition;
- All-mode travel network and demand analysis;
- All-mode travel survey;
- In-scope market estimation and growth, modal split, inducement and uncertainty analyses;
- Demand model development;
- Ridership and revenue forecasts;
- Impacts on transportation modes;
- Cost benefit analysis;
- Financial evaluation;
- Sensitivity analysis;
- Deliverability evaluation (schedule, construction and implementation options).